Well don’t panic, here is just what the doctor ordered:
- Check the Timer Job Status for the solution deployment in Central Administration. There could be entries with “Failed” as the job status.
- Lets try to set things right by running stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs command.
Note that in a farm environment, you need to run the above command on all the servers.
- As a next step, try restarting the OWSTIMER Service on all boxes in the farm.
- Get a list of all the pending & active deployments on your MOSS Farm using
stsadm -o enumdeployments command.
Make a note of the GUID of the various solutions on the command window as this would be required in next step.
- As a last nail in the coffin, we now need to simply cancel the solution deployment by passing the GUID of the solution as shown below
stsadm -o canceldeployment -id "job id string here"
If the problem still persists (esp. in the MOSS 2007 Farm environment), you might need to remove/detach a defective WFE from the farm and then retry deployment.
I have tried to put together the steps which have worked for me, hope this post helps you all too.